Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bigger is not better

I ENVY people who collect stuff like coins, stamps, thimbles, arrowheads, bullets or small figures. They take up so little room. If I could rewire my brain I would be sure to do so to make me want to collect SMALL items.

Sadly, I have far too many BIG items. You could fit a major collection of coins in the same space it takes to put just one field desk, chaplain's organ, switchboard, mine detector case, foot locker, or any other number of BIG items I have. My collection has a life of its own now. I look at things like houses not thinking are the schools any good, but can it fit my stuff?

And of course if I were to sell them the market is limited as shipping is a pain. I was only able to sell off a second field organ once because I was driving down that way and could drop it off.

So yeah, it's impressive. Yeah, it's cool. Yeah, I can dig it out and do great displays with it. But it is a pain in the ass.

So my advice is to try very very hard, to try and only collect in a field where the biggest object you might ever buy is no more than the size of an average book. Stay away from anything that has related items that 'might' fit into your collection as it is a sure thing you will start running into them at a good price and suddenly start thinking in terms of how many cubic yards does your collection take up.

No comments: