Sunday, March 2, 2008

Gold and SIlver

The price of Gold and Silver are up very high.

What this means is that lots and lots of very nice items are going to be sold off as scrap and melted down. Its a shame. I hope the darn scrap metal merchants know to have some experts look things over before they do the met. Last time this happened huge numbers of WW2 flight wings vanished forever.

But A funny story- at a show one day A dealer I knew pretty well had a pile of WW2 Dr's insignia. I was looking at them thinking maybe I should buy a set and put them away in case I ever needed them (needed them ! hah!)

And one of them looked different. thinner, finer made. I looked at it and - ahem- it was gold. A gold Medical Caduceus! Had I been a different kind of guy I would have snatched it up for whatever- $5. But I actually pointed it out to the dealer who was very very happy I did.

I learned to always look at batches of insignia very very carefully, but I've never found any more gold....

No comments: