Thursday, April 3, 2008

Collecting, Old age, and Death



A older dealer I know has started to part with a few objects from his extensive research collection when people call looking for a specific item. A major collector in my field has started selling off his personal collection. Not just a major collector and dealer, he may happen to have the largest, best private military collection in the USA. Certainly many of his items deserve to be in museums.

No one really thought either of these two guys would sell off their personal collections. Sort of like Hillary deciding she would withdraw from the election in favor of John McCain. But it happens. We just don’t really notice the smaller guys.

When asked what I would do with my own collection when I died, I replied “take it with me.” As if I could. When I was younger I had visions of a museum that would continue on after me. That is just not going to happen. There are too many museums now, and I do not have the large sums of money to get one going.

I could donate it to an existing museum, but at this time I worry that most of it would sit in the back room until someone decided to sell it off to pay for a raise for the director. I could (and have) left instructions on how it should be disposed of to raise money for my wife should I pass away too soon. When essentially involves listing a few very honest collectors I know that she can ask to come in and sort stuff and either negotiate with dealers, sell on commission, or stick on ebay for her. In exchange they get some really nice stuff I know they would want.

But more than likely I will decide at some point to sell it off myself. Right now much of it research material for my writing. When (if) I decide to stop I hope I will comfortable enough to part with much of it. I keep trying to make myself sell things, but all I can see is rising prices. As a friend said- “why sell something now if you do not really need the money, when it will probably go up in value far more than stocks?” I could sell now- but greed of future value holds me back.

I once suggested to a guy that ran a militaria auction house that he should set up a special service for collecting widows. They don’t know how to sell the stuff (and truthfully many guys have told their wives that old German helmet only cost $20…). So the collector can just leave a message saying “if I pass away contact Joe X to sell off my collection. Then he sells it off on his auction, other collectors that know his reputation can best place a price on things, and the wife gets a check.

Wait- stop the presses. I have just been told that some WW1 prices, and a lot of ACW prices are going down? Mon Dieu!

No comments: